Wednesday Live Reads – Tickets $ 12 each :
ReelHeART 2015 Screenplay Competition: Live Script Read
- Time: 11:30AM-1:30PM
- Location:Room WO30
Woodsworth College Residence
321 Bloor Street West (South East Corner from St. George Subway)
Toronto, Ontario M5S 1S5 MAP
- Feature Screenplay Top 3 Winner
“A Compact Death“, written by Brien McHugh
Joliet, Illinois, USA
Brien McHugh Bio: In the Fall of 2008, Mr. McHugh was hired full-time in the Mass Communication Department of the University of St. Francis in Joliet, Illinois. He teaches the dark arts: Public Relations, Journalism and Advertising. Before that, McHugh tucked away twenty years of communications and marketing experience from a wide range of industries including banking, gaming, entertainment and the nonprofit sector. Other relevant experience includes ten years as a broadcaster at Chicago and Chicago-area radio stations. McHugh lives in Joliet, Illinois, the home of The Blues Brothers, with his wife, Kathy. They have three children and three grandchildren.
Inspiration For Screenplay:
A Compact Death inspiration: In the early 1980s I was working at a country radio station when the transition from analog to digital music began. Yes, even country stations started getting their music on compact discs. The cinematic idea of clues and evidence revealed through new technology and dogged determination isn’t new. Antonioni’s Blow-up and, in 1981, DePalma’s Blow-out covered the topic pretty well. Throw in just about every detective film, too. But the idea kept rattling around in my head for several years. I always thought it would make a good movie with a killer soundtrack. A Compact Death is set in Illinois farm country and in the seamy underbelly of Chicago…places I’ve lived and worked in all my life. And, in the end, justice prevails.
A Compact Death synopsis: At the dawn of the digital music era, 1984, a young, smart, headstrong record company rep and naïve, small-town disc jockey unravel the decades-old mystery surrounding the death of a beloved sixties recording artist.
Our Screenplay Competition Sponsors
- FINAL DRAFT – Final Draft is a screenwriting software for writing and formatting a screenplay to meet the screenplay submission standards set by theater, television and film industries. The program is developed and owned by Final Draft, Inc., headquartered in Calabasas, California;
- INKTIP – The mission of InkTip.com is threefold:
- Help the producer easily find a good script
- Save time for the agent and manager in locating the right people for their clients’ scripts, or new clients
- Greatly increase exposure for the screenwriter